“Through innumerable incarnations and rebirths man has hypnotized himself with his body… Yoga is the process of dehypnotism.” – Rammurti S. Mishra, M.D. (Sri Brahmananda Sarasvati)
Sandi Higgins originally hails from New Jersey and New York. She studied film at NYU Tisch School of the Arts as well as physical theatre in France and Italy. Sandi went on to work on stage in experimental theatre and behind the camera on several films in Hollywood, Bollywood, and independent documentary cinema before realizing that she was missing a ground of basic wellness from which to evolve personally and professionally. Following two life-changing traumatic events, Sandi immersed herself in Ashtanga yoga practice and therein found her way to cultivate the restorative ground of basic wellness from which to sustain a creative & spiritual path.
Sandi approaches yoga as a dimension of dharma, a daring art and science of liberation and a method to cultivate the sublime abidings of loving kindness, compassion, joy, and equanimity. She teaches yoga and meditation on land and in the water.
As a teacher, Sandi remains first and foremost an ardent student and practitioner. Her grounding in yoga practice comes from the Mysore Ashtanga sadhana as well as from a rigorous ethic for continued education and varied training. Sandi completed her first yoga teacher training at The Shala Yoga House in NYC in 2013, where she studied and practiced Ashtanga based Vinyasa with Barbara Verrochi & Kristin Leigh for over 8 years. In NYC, she furthered her training in Kids, Family, and Partner Yoga with Rainbow Yoga at Sacred Brooklyn in 2014 as well in Aquatic Fitness with AFAA (the Aerobics and Fitness Association of America) in 2015: both of which helped her to develop classes in Aquatic Yoga.
Shortly after receiving her first yoga teaching certification, Sandi was hired by the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation where she had the honor of being the first full time yoga teacher employed as a civil servant by the city government.
In NYC, Sandi practiced Mysore Ashtanga with Eddie Stern at the Broome St. Temple, Barbara Verrochi & Kristin Leigh at The Shala, Guy Donahaye at Ashtanga Yoga Shala, and Lori Brungard at the Ashtanga Sadhana, as well as with many excellent visiting teachers, such as Ron Reid & Marla Meenakshi Joy, Maia C. Heiss, David Swenson, Tim Miller, and Maty Ezraty.
In 2016, Sandi made her 4th trip to India and 1st trip to Mysore to study and practice intensively with R. Sharath Jois at KPJAYI. Sandi has studied and practiced Ashtanga Yoga with Sharathji and Saraswathi Jois on tour in the USA and internationally since 2014.
In 2018, Sandi was part of the last advanced Ashtanga Yoga teacher training at the original Yoga Workshop in Boulder, CO. After studying there with Richard Freeman & Mary Taylor, she moved to Boulder and continued Mysore Ashtanga practice with Ty Landrum.
She currently practices the complete Primary Series, 2nd Series, and some of 3rd Series.
A vegan since 2011, Sandi received her certification in Plant-Based Whole Food Nutrition in 2019 with eCornell University’s T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies.
Yoga & Meditation Training:
• Led Intermediate & Led Primary with Sri R. Sharath Jois – NYC & California (2014-2019)
• Second Series Ashtanga Yoga Intensive with Ty Landrum at the Yoga Workshop – Boulder, CO (2019)
• Ashtanga Yoga Teacher’s Intensive with Richard Freeman & Mary Taylor – Boulder, CO (2018)
• Menla Mountain Buddha & The Yoginis Retreat with Robert Thurman, Richard Freeman, and Mary Taylor – Catskills, NY (2017)
• KPJAYI Krishna Pattabhi Jois Ashtanga Yoga Institute with Sri R. Sharath Jois – Mysore, India (2016)
• Ashtanga Yoga New York with Eddie Stern – NYC (2014-2016)
• Rainbow Kids Yoga with Nayeli Nateras – Brooklyn (2014)
• Karmapa Monastery with Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche – Catskills, NY (2012)
• Chuang Yen Monastery with Ven. Dhammadipa Sak – Carmel, NY (2012-2013)
• Shechen Monastary with Dilgo Khyentse Yangsi Rinpoche and Rabjam Rinpoche – Bodhgaya, India (2011)
• Anindo Chatterjee School of Tabla & Indian Music with Pt. Anindo Chatterjee – Brooklyn, NY (2007-2010)
• The Shala Yoga House with Barbara Verrochi & Kristin Leigh – NYC (2004-2013)