“Through innumerable incarnations and rebirths man has hypnotized himself with his body… Yoga is the process of dehypnotism.” – Rammurti S. Mishra, M.D. (Sri Brahmananda Sarasvati)
As a yoga teacher, Sandi remains an ardent student and practitioner. Her yoga studies are rooted in the practice of the Mysore Ashtanga Vinyasa. She also draws from other somatic experience with dance, fitness, qigong, theatre, outdoor recreation, and diverse forms of physical and philosophical enjoyment and education.
Sandi completed her first yoga teacher training at The Shala Yoga House in NYC in 2013 (Yoga Alliance RYT 200), where she had first studied and practiced Ashtanga based Vinyasa with Barbara Verrochi & Kristin Leigh for over 8 years. In NYC, she furthered her training in Kids, Family, and Partner Yoga with Rainbow Yoga at Sacred Brooklyn in 2014.
While working for the NYC Department of Parks & Recreation, Sandi developed their first Aqua Yoga program in the city’s public pools – providing an alternative space for yoga practice and aquatic connectivity. Her Aqua Yoga program combined her background in Vinyasa Yoga with her then new discovery of Aquatic Fitness, for which she received training from the Aerobics and Fitness Association of America (AFAA) in 2015.
In NYC, Sandi practiced and powwowed with yoga teachers Eddie Stern at the Broome St. Temple, Barbara Verrochi & Kristin Leigh at The Shala, Guy Donahaye at Ashtanga Yoga Shala, and Lori Brungard at the Ashtanga Sadhana, as well as with traveling Ashtangis like Ron Reid & Marla Meenakshi Joy, Maia C. Heiss, David Swenson, Tim Miller, and Maty Ezraty.
In 2016, Sandi made her 4th trip to India and 1st trip to Mysore to practice intensively with R. Sharath Jois at KPJAYI. Sandi has studied and practiced Ashtanga Yoga with Sharathji and Saraswathi Jois on tour in the USA and internationally since 2014.
In 2018, Sandi moved to Boulder to further her studies with Richard Freeman and Mary Taylor. She was part of their last Ashtanga Yoga Teacher’s Intensive at the original Yoga Workshop. At this time, Sandi began to integrate more Restorative Yoga into her own practice and into her classes. Also from the Yoga Workshop, she practiced and assisted Mysore Ashtanga with Ty Landrum. She has also begun studying more yoga anatomy and Iyengar yoga in Boulder with Laura Allard-Antelmi.
Sandi currently practices the complete Ashtanga Primary Series, Second Series, and is slowly working through Third Series. Along with restorative yoga, she integrates sitting meditation, pranayama, and chanting into her personal practice as well as into her classes.
An environmental and animal rights activist, Sandi has gone vegan since 2011 and is very inspired by the plant-based whole food nutrition movement. She received certification in Plant-Based Whole Food Nutrition in 2019 with eCornell University’s T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies.
Yoga & Meditation Training:
• Led Intermediate & Led Primary with R. Sharath Jois & Saraswati Jois – NYC, Los Angeles, Stanford University, and Budapest, Hungary (2014-2019)
• Second Series Ashtanga Yoga Intensive with Ty Landrum at the Yoga Workshop – Boulder, CO (2019)
• Ashtanga Yoga Teacher’s Intensive with Richard Freeman & Mary Taylor – Boulder, CO (2018)
• Menla Mountain Buddha & The Yoginis Retreat with Robert Thurman, Richard Freeman, and Mary Taylor – Catskills, NY (2017)
• KPJAYI Krishna Pattabhi Jois Ashtanga Yoga Institute with Sri R. Sharath Jois – Mysore, India (2016)
• Ashtanga Yoga New York with Eddie Stern – NYC (2014-2016)
• Rainbow Kids Yoga with Nayeli Nateras – Brooklyn (2014)
• Karmapa Monastery with Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche – Catskills, NY (2012)
• Chuang Yen Monastery with Ven. Dhammadipa Sak – Carmel, NY (2012-2013)
• Shechen Monastary with Dilgo Khyentse Yangsi Rinpoche and Rabjam Rinpoche – Bodhgaya, India (2011)
• Anindo Chatterjee School of Tabla & Indian Music with Pt. Anindo Chatterjee – Brooklyn, NY (2007-2010)
• The Shala Yoga House with Barbara Verrochi & Kristin Leigh – NYC (2004-2013)